Soft shell and membrane

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Krispin5, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Krispin5

Krispin5 New Egg

Sep 25, 2007
    Hi there, I got an egg this morning that had a soft, rubbery shell, plus a clear membrane covering the shell. Am I looking at the same thing as others, that it is from a new layer and I should give oyster shells, or is this something new? Thanks for your input

2. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Krispin, it sounds like a new layer to me, I usually get 2 eggs like this at the start of laying season, I dont do anything with additives like oystershell, I suppose they have it in the scratch mix that i buy here anyway, but I find that it stops after the 2nd egg and then they go back to normal.

3. Krispin5

Krispin5 New Egg

Sep 25, 2007
    Hey Bantymum,
    I haven't had that happen before, so I wasn't sure what I was dealing with. I'm going to check their feed to be sure.
    Thanks for the info

4. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine do it sometimes with their first eggs and other times they dont, so I dont worry about it because it doesnt happen after their 2nd egg. I guess im lucky with the feed.

5. gretchen

gretchen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2007
    One of mine layed a soft shell for her 2nd egg, then followed it up the next day with a double yolked egg, then about 2 weeks later she layed another soft shell egg at night (she's a morning girl) under the run roost and then the next day gave us a Jumbo sized double yolk... I mean that egg was HUGE. All her other eggs have hard shells so I think that they are calcium deficient, just working the system out. I wouldn't worry, but I do scrub out their egg shells and crush them up so they can get the extra calcium, not every day but probably once a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by