soft shell egg laid out of the nesting box

Russo's Roost

Songster
10 Years
May 7, 2009
Morrisville VT
Lately I have been getting what I just found out is not a fart egg but a soft shell egg that has been laid outside of the nesting box. Sometimes the egg is not in the shell at all, the very soft shell is on the ground next to the egg. I have 5 hens all about 25 weeks old. I get one a day for the last week or so. Can anyone tell me what may be causing this?

One of your girls hasn't gotten her egg laying machinery working properly. Make certain that they have free choice oyster shell or calcium of some kind. I mix mine in wit the feed.

I offer oyster shell, free choice, in a separate dish from their laying feed. Actually the "dish" is just a large tuna can nailed to the wall of their run. I fill it when it gets low. Different hens (or breeds) have varying calcium needs. Some, like those that lay big eggs, need a lot more calcium carbonate than others. Certain hens assimilate calcium differently than other hens. So it's nice to allow each hen to get the amount she needs, when she needs it.

Also, offer some ACV in a non-galvanized waterer. It helps with calcium uptake, for one thing.

BTW, I agree that your girl may be getting her egg "plumbing" in order. This happened to my first layer. It took a week of weird eggs for her to get it straight.

Ahhhh Soooo Apple Cider Vinegar, I have a chick waterer left over from when they were babes in the box. Plastic, that should be an excellent dispenser. Thank you all for your advice, I will add some calcium to their diet also.
By the way, I can't immagine my life without chickens.

Russo's Roost :

Ahhhh Soooo Apple Cider Vinegar, I have a chick waterer left over from when they were babes in the box. Plastic, that should be an excellent dispenser. Thank you all for your advice, I will add some calcium to their diet also.
By the way, I can't immagine my life without chickens.

Yes, plastic is good! Do 1 tablespoon ACV to each gallon of water. If you can get the unfiltered ACV, it's even better for them.

Me too, btw, I thoroughly LOVE my life with chickens!​

Thank you for the thread and answers I needed the information also. I think one of my Silkies is having the same problem. Will DE work for a calcium source?

Quote:
No. DE only contains about 20% calcium. They need calcium carbonate. Egg shells are about 95% calcium carbonate. Oyster shells are the most readily available calcium carbonate feed supplement for poultry. You can get it anywhere that sells poultry feed.

Thank you. I knew the DE and Oyster shell both had calcium in them, but didn't know the difference in the kind of calcium. I will pick some tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom