soft shell egg laid out of the nesting box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Russo's Roost, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Russo's Roost

Russo's Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Morrisville VT
    Lately I have been getting what I just found out is not a fart egg but a soft shell egg that has been laid outside of the nesting box. Sometimes the egg is not in the shell at all, the very soft shell is on the ground next to the egg. I have 5 hens all about 25 weeks old. I get one a day for the last week or so. Can anyone tell me what may be causing this?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    One of your girls hasn't gotten her egg laying machinery working properly. Make certain that they have free choice oyster shell or calcium of some kind. I mix mine in wit the feed.

3. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    I offer oyster shell, free choice, in a separate dish from their laying feed. Actually the "dish" is just a large tuna can nailed to the wall of their run. I fill it when it gets low. Different hens (or breeds) have varying calcium needs. Some, like those that lay big eggs, need a lot more calcium carbonate than others. Certain hens assimilate calcium differently than other hens. So it's nice to allow each hen to get the amount she needs, when she needs it.

Also, offer some ACV in a non-galvanized waterer. It helps with calcium uptake, for one thing.

BTW, I agree that your girl may be getting her egg "plumbing" in order. This happened to my first layer. It took a week of weird eggs for her to get it straight.

4. Russo's Roost

May 7, 2009
    Morrisville VT
    Quote:What is ACV? I understand the rest thank you.

5. feathersnuggles

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    ACV is apple cider vinegar.

6. Russo's Roost

May 7, 2009
    Morrisville VT
    Ahhhh Soooo Apple Cider Vinegar, I have a chick waterer left over from when they were babes in the box. Plastic, that should be an excellent dispenser. Thank you all for your advice, I will add some calcium to their diet also.
    By the way, I can't immagine my life without chickens.

7. feathersnuggles

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Russo's Roost :

Ahhhh Soooo Apple Cider Vinegar, I have a chick waterer left over from when they were babes in the box. Plastic, that should be an excellent dispenser. Thank you all for your advice, I will add some calcium to their diet also.
    By the way, I can't immagine my life without chickens.

Yes, plastic is good! Do 1 tablespoon ACV to each gallon of water. If you can get the unfiltered ACV, it's even better for them.

Me too, btw, I thoroughly LOVE my life with chickens!​

8. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Thank you for the thread and answers I needed the information also. I think one of my Silkies is having the same problem. Will DE work for a calcium source?

9. feathersnuggles

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Quote:No. DE only contains about 20% calcium. They need calcium carbonate. Egg shells are about 95% calcium carbonate. Oyster shells are the most readily available calcium carbonate feed supplement for poultry. You can get it anywhere that sells poultry feed.

10. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Thank you. I knew the DE and Oyster shell both had calcium in them, but didn't know the difference in the kind of calcium. I will pick some tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by