Soft shell egg ?'s

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LindsaySinai, Aug 17, 2011.

1. LindsaySinai

LindsaySinai Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    I had a Rhode Island Red that was lying huge perfect eggs and then all of a sudden she laid a soft shelled egg and pretty soon she was laying them every day for months. After trying everything I could I gave her back to my aunt and now I only have two easter eggers in the coop...but 9 chicks waiting to get big enough. The EE's just started laying a few months back and have been laying eggs almost everyday...and now one of them(I know its only one because only one lays blue eggs and its the blue eggs) has been laying soft shelled eggs the past week. I feed them oyster shells and have looked for bugs and mites....could there be a reason they both started doing that?? What am I doing wrong?? And before both my huge hens would smash themselves in the same nesting box mid morning and lay their eggs together. Now the one lays her soft shelled eggs in the middle of the night so I think the other one is kinda lost and has just been laying her eggs in the middle of the coop in the later afternoon instead of going to her nest.

2. Cochin378

Cochin378 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2010
    The reason chickens lay soft shelled eggs in my experience is that they are not getting enough calcium. If you feed your chicken more calcium you will have eggs with a harder shell because hens mobilize at least 47%of their calcium to lay eggs.Try switching feed.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  3. LindsaySinai

LindsaySinai Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    Ive added supplements but never thought of switching feed. Could it have anything to do with there water supply? The water seems to get dirty as soon as I put it in there...id like to find a hanging one. I also read about saline in water but it doesnt seem like water from a garden hose would have that problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by