soft shell egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bawkadoodledoo, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    i went into the coop this morn and i looked in the corner, and saw a soft shell egg! it was thick enough to withstand poking but it squished. I threw it into the compost pile (which is getting quite big!) so it could rot in the spring. i my mom told me that we will get oyster stell sext time we buy feed, and my feed is running a bit low, so i guess it's time for the good ol calcium!

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    oyster shells for extra calcium is good. what kind of feed are you using?

3. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    Blue Seal Layer Pellets.

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    on the label it should tell you how much calcium is in the bag.

5. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    You can use egg shells in the meantime.

6. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I also had a soft shelled egg recently. It was strange since I feed layer pellets and oyster shell. I posted a question about it and I don't remember all who responded but the general idea was that if your girls are fairly new layers this can happen. My girl who layed the mushy egg had only been laying for about 6 weeks I think. Basically I was told all was ok and I haven't had any shell issues since. Just thought i'd let you know!

7. jmike

jmike Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2008
    Lindale, TX
    I had just the opposite, I have to Silkies that just started laying for the first time and the shells are so hard you can hardly crack em and I just started giving them oyster shell today. I hope that's not a problem when I start hatching them. What do ya'll think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by