Soft Shell Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Melmom8, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Melmom8

Melmom8 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Hi,

I have four Star hens about 5 months of age.
    I found a normal sized soft shell egg today and a mini soft shelled egg next to it.
    It must have been laid overnight. The feel was rubbery. What is causing this?
    My other eggs are normal.

Thanks,
    Gail

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    That happens sometimes in the first few months of laying. It's nothing to worry about unless it continues all the time. Likely nothing to worry about.

3. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    My problem was solved when I started giving oyster shell (freechoice)...took care of it. First layers sometimes do it... [​IMG]

4. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! Me too, with the oyster shells. I didn't have rubbery shells, just really thin ones. I also started with the layer food and have had no shell issues since. Good luck!

5. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I had 2 when they first started laying, it has not happened again and I did nothing.

6. dnichols

dnichols Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    I had the same thing happen. I found one in the middle of the coop and one in the middle of the pen. They were weird looking. It's only happened once and the chickens were about 7 months old.

7. FinsUp

FinsUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    lake oswego flats
    I'm assuming that is because they are new layers. I too got my first shelless egg today - just sitting on the poop board, so it could have happened in the night. My girls have layer feed, flock block (with oyster shells) and free choice ground up egg shells (which I see a few nibble at from time to time). Check it out - the one on the right:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by