1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

soft shell eggs after introducing new chick

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ermine, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Ermine

Ermine New Egg

Apr 15, 2016
    Hi, I got a small flock of 3 hens and I recently added 4th pullet. My girls don`t seem to be happy with a new member, chasing her around and won`t let her sleep in a coop. Poor thing spend nights on a coop roof thanks got for warm weather. However, my red sex link who had been laying one egg a day for a few weeks now producing soft shell eggs since then. It`s been 5 days now, I don`t even see an egg, I just find smashed paper-like membrane in a nest box. Other 2 hens are fine. But this one seems to be the meanest one to new girl. I did not change a feed. Could this be due to stress? Then why her reaction is so different from others? How long does it normally takes a flock to figure it out with new member, because I feel bad for her that she can`t sleep inside. I put here little dog carrier filled with shavings so she can hide, but she wouldn`t go inside

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

is there enough calcium? that coupled with stress

3. Ermine

Ermine New Egg

Apr 15, 2016
    Yes, I feed them organic pellets with supplement of oyster shells and their own eggshells. I did not change anything, and other two hens laying as usual

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Stress will cause some to lay eggs without a shell, adding new members is definitely a stressor for some. The egg comes out too early before a shell can form on it. It's nothing to be concerned about especially if you know the reason for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by