soft shell eggs two days in a row, did I buy the right thing?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by frickenchicken1, Jan 24, 2017.

1. frickenchicken1

frickenchicken1 Just Hatched

Nov 27, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi, i have 3 5ish month old hyline hens that have just laid their first couple dozen eggs. I have one particular hen that has laid two soft shell eggs, two days in a row (today and yesterday) , I got really worried, i'm thinking maybe it's because she has just started but I also thought of the calcium deficiency case. I went into the shops and found a bag of 'shell grit'. I'm wondering if I got the right thing? The description says its to help with boosting calcium and is a supplement etc etc. I've read about soft shell eggs before I got my chickens and read that you should feed crushed oyster shell. The packet that i bought says that it's crushed shell grit but it doesn't say anything about it being oyster shell. I don't think that its the type of grit that helps with food digestion (because when I look closely its literally tiny shells and little crushed shells) so it may be the right thing.. i'm just not 100% sure and would like some re-assurance :)
    (sorry if I sound like a complete worry wart, i'm new to all of this[​IMG])

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    This is very common in new layers. And sometimes it shows up in older layers too, it is usually just a temporary glitch in the egg making set up. It almost always self corrects. At first, I was like you, very worried about the diet. And while I do feed layer feed, and often times have oyster shell out, I truthfully have not noticed a true correlation between the two and hard shells.

If you consistently get weak shells, then a lot of times, by adding either layer feed or oystershell, in a few weeks the shells do get harder. But in my opinion, that is not what really happens in a soft shell or paper shell egg. Those eggs are just laid too quick before the egg finishes forming.

I would really expect the hen to skip a day, and then lay a normal egg. She may have a few more of these episodes in the next two months, and then normal eggs from then on.

Mrs K

3. frickenchicken1

frickenchicken1 Just Hatched

Nov 27, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thank you so much for the reply! yeah they are hybrids after all and I'm thinking maybe she laid her egg too fast before it even finished forming. :) I hope the shell grit helps with that :)

4. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I do know Purina has a product out there. Their site says min calcium is 36% and max is 41%. I'm providing the link below so you can compare the nutritional information on your product (% calcium) with a well known product intended for chickens, and maybe have a starting point for more cost-effective options. As Mrs. K said, that's a very common thing for the first few weeks while they get their production line in order. =)

https://www.purinamills.com/chicken-feed/products/detail/purina-oyster-shell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by