Soft Shell Eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenGRAFFITI, May 11, 2011.

1. chickenGRAFFITI

chickenGRAFFITI Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2009
    I have a Hen, Amelia, that has a “bad egg timer” and I was wondering if anyone has any advice as I don’t know what else to do.

Background: She is a Houdan that is just over a year old and for over 4 months she has been laying soft shelled eggs. Her actions are very strange. 3 out of 4 days she will go inside to the nest and sit like she is going to lay an egg but nothing ever comes out. Then at some other time later in the day or the next day she gets this morbid look about her for about an hour, hunches over and then plops out a soft shelled egg. I have tried everything possible regarding her calcium intake and I don’t think it is related. I have given her yoghurt, added milk and crushed calcium pills to her feed, I have switched the blend of their feed (it is Soy Free Organic Layer Feed) and I have increased her greens intake. All of the other hens have egg shells that are like a rock. She has never gone Broody. I was hoping she would as it might reset her internal clock. It is as though she is laying 3 eggs every 4 days when she should be laying 2 eggs every 3 days if that makes any sense.

Environment: She is in a flock of 8 that free range in a completely walled acre that is a very controlled environment. They graze on a very fine and dark green golf course hybrid grass. I assume it is high in calcium because of the color and it is very easily digestible. There are 3 oyster shell stations, 2 outside and 1 inside. They get treats of either steamed corn, black grapes, tomatoes, romaine lettuce or yoghurt 3 times a day. In the evening and during the heat of the day they come in an Aviary that has HVAC and is completely cleaned/sterilized daily so there is no parasite issue. They are checked for worms every 3 months and bathed every 2 to 4 weeks depending on how dirty they are.

If anyone knows what is wrong or what else I should do please let me know.

2. chickenGRAFFITI

Dec 18, 2009
    Anyone? [​IMG]
    I really am afraid she will get egg bound at some point.

Please.

3. Posh Chickens

Posh Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
    Hey, hang in there, she may just have a bad egg system, i'm no expert but can you live with soft shelled eggs?

4. silverback

silverback Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Hi

I had one hen start laying soft shell eggs a few days ago. She plopped out 3 in one morning. I was very worried. Then she started laying light, rough eggs for a couple of days - on the floor of the coop not in her nest. Yesterday she laid a so-so egg (rough and mottled but in the nest and decent hardness) and today Voila! a normal egg! the other 2 hens I have were fine all along. Dont know what happened. I read many many posts and articles on possible causes and potential "cures". I rubbed her tummy the other day and gave her yogurt. But I think she just worked it out herself. I am thinking there was some shock, or stress or trauma that kicked it off but will never know.

Anyway - I hope Amelia resolves it too. I know how worrisome this critters are!

S.

5. chickenGRAFFITI

Dec 18, 2009
    Thank you for the kind words. She is still ploping out the soft shelled ones.
    Quote:

6. silverback

silverback Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Another thing I did was cut out all treats (except the yogurt) like bread crumbs. I was worried that she was eating too much stuff other than her Layena. From the "research" I did, I suspected a malfunctioning shell gland. The soft eggs are actually more difficult to lay than hard ones. That may be what is happening to Amelia. Time for a vet?
    S.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by