Soft shell eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by airmechreed, Aug 29, 2011.

1. airmechreed

airmechreed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    I know this is normal as it was my both of my buffs first egg. However I am feeding them layer feed and oyster shell on top of that, not to mention my leghorns have hard as rock shells. So my question is how long will the shells be soft? When should I expect a hard shell from them?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's fairly common for a new layer to produce a soft shelled egg. It sometimes takes them awhile to get all the kinks out of the egglaying system. Hard to predict how long though. With some hens it's only one, with others it goes on for weeks until *ta da!* they finally get it right.

3. airmechreed

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks I hope that they work their laying abilities out...lol....I will post picturs of my first hard eggs as the first eggs were kinda soggy, however I did take pictures. My wife thought they were cool....I was bumbed. At least they are laying now I guess.

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    mine just started last week...give them another egg, the next one should be fine...small, but edible!
    [​IMG]

these eggs were a week or so apart

5. airmechreed

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Ok I will give them another egg lol but they better figure it out soon so I don't have to post yucky pics of soft eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by