Soft shell or no shell!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pupomat, Nov 17, 2008.

1. pupomat

pupomat New Egg

Nov 17, 2008
    Hi there,

New chicken owner here...We have been getting an occasional egg with a soft squishy shell and today there was a runny egg and yolk mess in the nest with no shell. Is this normal once in awhile or do we have a sick hen? Thanks.

-Worried in Washington

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    How old are your hens and what are they eating. If they are not getting proper calcium, they can have soft shells.

3. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
  4. pupomat

pupomat New Egg

Nov 17, 2008
    They are 9 months old and eating a "layer" pellet food and free ranging our garden which is about 3,000 sq feet.

5. pupomat

pupomat New Egg

Nov 17, 2008
    Babyboymom,

Do you just mix oyster shell in with their pellets? Thanks.

6. BethinIrving

BethinIrving Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    The bird could be sick. I would isolate it from the other birds, really clean and sanitize everything -- roosting area, nesting, water and food vessels, remove all the litter, and go asap to the feed store and tell them what the bird is doing. If it is a sick bird, they can usually sell you the medicine right then. Also, you can call the hatchery for info.

Hope all goes well.

7. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    If it is a hen that is new to laying it could correct itself. If the hen is not acting sick in any other way, I would give it another day or two. I had two softshells that were broken messes in the nest box, but after another couple days it corrected itself and the hen is laying just fine now. Although her eggs are smaller than the rest. I didn't find the soft shell of one of the eggs at first either, as it was buried under some of the bedding. The 'shell-less' egg might have had a shell, but it may be either buried or someone might have eaten it. Just offer oyster shell in its own container for them to pick at. Chances are it will rectify(sp?) itself shortly.

8. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:Ditto. They are young, so probably a glitch in their system. You could try oystr shell fr choice to boost their calcium if it continues, but wait it out a bit.

9. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    I had a young one doing this in August. I isolated her because I thought she might be sick and started giving her a bit of canned salamon, bones and all in addition to layer. Within a week she was laying normally. Probably it was just that she was young in my case and low on the pecking order for the best bugs. I hope you find it is something as simple.

10. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Quote:I put the oyster shell in a seperate bowl for them to eat whenever they want to do so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by