1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

soft shell over and over

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by navybockbocks, Aug 5, 2013.

1. navybockbocks

navybockbocks New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    So I came home from work one day in March and I had 6 chicks in a box in my dining room! OK.... so this is going to be an adventure. So we built a chicken coop and welcomed them to our home...... In the mean time my husband had also purchased 3 ducks and we "acquired" 3 more chickens at a chicken swap one weekend. So needless to say we have "a flock" at our house. Well when I went out to the nest boxes in July, to clean them out because 3 of our chickens like to use it as a bathroom, I was pleasantly surprised to find 2 eggs..... We have 9 chickens and 2 of them are roosters so not all of them are laying even though 5 of them are from the same batch of eggs. But for the last week when I check for eggs I always find a broken soft egg in the hen house. they are all on the same diet and I found no eggs when they started laying. I have given them extra oyster shell just in case and I am still getting a soft egg a day. I know that it's only one chicken but I don't know which one. Is there anything else I can do?

2. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    well what type of feed are they on?

3. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    well if they are all laying switch to layer feed roosters can eat it as well if you dont want to change feed just put in a small dish oyster shell make sure SHE is the one eating and not the others but to make it easier i would switch to layer

4. navybockbocks

navybockbocks New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    I have them on DuMor Layer feed with oystershell. And it's only one chicken but I am not sure which one.

5. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    it may just be because she just started to lay sometimes when hens just start to lay there eggs are soft small or strange looking

6. navybockbocks

navybockbocks New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    I am hoping I know that not all 5 hens are laying... and it's going to be awhile for my rocks to start laying but I will be patient and see.

7. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    wait a week or so and see if she is still laying them if she is something is wrong

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by