1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Soft-Shelled and Rubber Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pavie Andel, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Pavie Andel

Pavie Andel New Egg

May 30, 2016
    I have 5 chickens at 25 weeks of age. White Leghorn, Silver-laced Wyandotte, RIR, NHR, and Buff Orpington (Lila). It has taken a while to figure this out, but it is the Buff Orpington struggling to produce an egg with a viable shell. She is not showing any signs of illness. All 5 free range in a large enclosed garden area with a lot of vegetation. They are on Hiland Natural layer feed. They have oyster shell available all the time. Carefully regulated treats include chicken scratch and meal worms. Lila was the last to start laying eggs, in the last 2-3 weeks, she has produced 6 soft-shelled or rubber eggs. The other 4 girls are doing great. I am at a loss at this point.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It should work itself out over the coming weeks without you doing anything. It's normal for some first timers to lay them.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

When my young ladies start laying soft shelled eggs...I cut out all treats...only free range, regular feed and make a bowl of oyster shell, granite grit and a handful of scratch....They eat the shell...Just make sure the scratch is way less than the oyster shell....
    Layers only need 5% daily in treats.....Meaning a Tablespoon per bird a day....

Cheers!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    Is she/did she produce any hard shelled eggs?

5. Pavie Andel

Pavie Andel New Egg

May 30, 2016
    Thank you for replying. She did not. However, hours after my original post, my dog scaled the fence and fatally injured Lila and the RIR, Myrtle. So the discussion is now purely academic.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    OhCrap! So sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by