soft shelled egg eaters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tiffrosef, Nov 23, 2014.

1. tiffrosef

tiffrosef Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2014
    All of my girls are new layers, and yesterday I got two soft shelled eggs. I didnt notice them until this morning, because the had hidden them in the area they like to roost on. They have a bar to roost on but they prefer a shelf I have in there. The two eggs were both somewhat soft in shell (one was almost like rubber, the other had a very thin somewhat rubbery shell) and all the egg inside both of them had been eaten.

They left the "normal" egg alone in the nesting box.

My question is did they eat the eggs because they knew there was something wrong with them, or do I need to be concerned about egg eaters?

2. Curlyginger

Curlyginger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I am interested in this, too, as I have the same issue. Mine eat the soft shell eggs, but leave the "regulars" alone.

3. tiffrosef

tiffrosef Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2014
    Bump

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's pretty normal for new layers to drop some soft shell, or other odd, eggs in the first month or so.

It's also normal for those soft shell eggs to get eaten, they will investigate with their beaks, find it easy to eat and delicious.

Any broken, thin or soft shelled egg is fair game to be eaten, it will not make them more inclined to eat a good hard shelled egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by