Soft shelled egg everyday

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by erin09, Sep 4, 2009.

1. erin09

erin09 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2009
    I have 6 19 week old pullets. They are on layer pellets, free choice oyster shell and a few hours of free ranging a day. (bugs, toads, worms and small snakes are things I see them eat)

I have at least one soft shelled egg everyday, this morning there were two.

I have a feeling one of them might be from the same chicken, since its everyday, same time and place. Is there anything else I can give them to rememdy this?

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    someone's gears are just getting going. give it time. keep your eye on it. their bodies have to get their poop in a group just like anything else.

congratulations on new layers. [​IMG] hope this shapes up quickly. stress adds more to shell-less eggs than calcium deficiency in many situations.
    when the chickens are at laying age, there is stress as they are determining that all important peck order and so it could be a little bit of everything at once. [​IMG]

blessings for many eggs!!!!

3. erin09

erin09 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2009
    Hmm, we did just move and have them in a smaller run/coop while we're building a bigger(safer) one.

It definitly could be stress, they don't like the smaller run. It should be done this weekend, I hope!

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    hola! that totally can add more stress especially if they just started laying.

it'll all get back to normal a few weeks after they get back to normalville.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by