1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Soft Shelled Egg from 1 of my 5 hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dcourington, Oct 29, 2013.

1. dcourington

dcourington Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2012
    Milton, FL
    Background... I bought 4 Jersey Giants and 1 Cuckoo Marans from a 4-H young man a few months ago. They have been free ranging all day on about 2/3 acre backyard and love it. I have been getting much higher production from them than I was thinking I would when I got them. We usually get 4-5 eggs each day!!! Anyway, I have them on Layer Formula (15%) and feed them scratch feed morning and evening when I let them out of the coop. The eat everything they can catch during the day and life has been good. I think I have a couple of them starting to molt now, and I have been finding soft shelled eggs (1 egg every few days) in the floor of the chicken coop. Not sure which one it is but I have a suspicion that it is the girl that has loose stool the past couple of weeks on and off. She some days has dirty feathers around and below the vent. Anyway, they are all eating the same diet every day and there is only one laying soft eggs. Not sure if a disease or a parasite can cause this to happen or not. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance from a newbie on the chicken scene.

Dave

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs
    http://www.avianweb.com/eggproblems.html
    A couple of good links on it. Shell less eggs are eggs that are going though the system too fast / being laid too early and are not stopping in the shell gland to get covered, there is a shell gland defect, or it is related to her ability to use the calcium correctly in making a shell. Older birds will also do it occasionally, stress and laying while molting are listed as a possible cause. There are a list of other causes, I would consider them ... especially since they are molting anything iffy about their condition is more likely to show up because of the added stress, and you have a hen that is having loose stool problems? Have they been wormed? Double check for parasites. You might want to up the protein in their diet, it will help them get through the molt since they are now using protein not only for laying eggs but for growing feathers.
    Shell less eggs usually do not have anything to do with calcium being deficient in her diet if you are feeding anything resembling a reasonable diet, thin shelled eggs may be related to calcium deficiency, they both may be related to shell gland defects or problems with a hens ability to use calcium correctly.

3. dcourington

dcourington Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2012
    Milton, FL
    Thanks so much for the reply. I really appreciate it. I had been doing some reading bout the parasite stuff and I will do a worming on them this week. It is a good time since egg laying has slowed. I decided that I am not going to do the extra light after reading about the stress it can put them under and they need a break also. It is a great thing to have experienced folks on here that are so willing to share their info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by