soft shelled egg, is this normal for new momma ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by snowflake, Aug 16, 2010.

1. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    [​IMG] I am getting an egg with soft shell, free choice oyster is available, feed Folk raiser, have recently added Layanna to a couple feeders. I think the soft shell may be from my Orpington. She went broody and hatched 6 chicks that are now about 10 weeks.does it take a while for the hen to build up enough calcium after she returns to laying? I have 2 more hens with 6 chicks, so I keep the flock raiser in their coop area but all free range and have access to all feeders. the broken eggs started to show up when she started laying again.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Have oyster shell available to all layers if you are not feeding laying pellets. They need a lot of calcium to produce hard-shelled eggs. Your new Mom might have a calcium deficiency.

3. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    sorry, thought I had put that in the post. I have a large pan of calcium under the coop for them at all times, also crush egg shells, I read an article about biochar, I am going to try that as soon as I can get some chard wood. Had another soft egg today! Thanks for your reply.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can buy calcium tablets at a pharmacy...crush several tablets into powder and sprinkle it on their feed. Do it for several days to see if it helps, if not, continue using it for several more days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by