Soft shelled egg or no shell at all...should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Feathered Landings, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Feathered Landings

Feathered Landings Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    I went out the other day to give the girls a treat and found an egg in the run that looked like it was missing the shell. I felt like a water balloon and looked like an egg that the shell had been removed from. I've heard of soft shells but never imagined them to look or feel like this one did. They've been laying for about 6 months now and I've never had this problem or even a soft shell. I feed them high protien Layena chicken feed which the local hay market says is enough and that I don't need to add oyster shells to their diet. Is this something I should be concerned about or maybe a sign of malnutrition or disease? Also, the fact that the egg was in the run and not the nesting boxes is weird to me too. I've NEVER found an egg in the run, always in the hen house. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks again

2. purpledonna

purpledonna Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    I would try increasing the calcium (oyster shell) that you are giving them....... hopefully someone with a bit more experience replies soon.

[​IMG]

3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Have they just started laying? If so the first eggs won't have exellent shells. If the hens are into laying already then theirs something wrong with that hen or her diet. Do all the pullets/hens lay eggs like that?

4. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    We had one like that. No shell at all, the membrane completely intact. Strange looking, but it happens to new layers sometimes. Just getting the hang of it.

5. Feathered Landings

Feathered Landings Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    Thanks for the replies. They started laying towards the end of July but have slowed down and some even stopped for the winter. Can this happen when they start laying again after their "winter break"? I've never had a problem with soft shells or even no shells....this is a 1st for us. They all seem healthy and are eating just fine, poops good too [​IMG] Maybe I'll try adding oyster shells if this happens again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by