soft shelled egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by angusrooster, Mar 22, 2013.

1. angusrooster

angusrooster Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2013
    i have 6 rir and 2 white maran hens 1 of them is laying a soft shelled egg.i recently bought rir 3 weeks ago they are starting 2nd laying cycle now.free choicing everthing water ,laying crumbles,oyster shell,grit,scrach is fed once a day by hand[not much].the other hens are not eating it now but afraid they will.i also have 12 golden comets coming and dont want to start either[they will be 20 wks old when get here]anyone have any advice on this hen?

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    I got a soft shelled egg just the other day from one of my hens. Its not really a bid deal, it just means they do not have enough calcium. You can mix up some finely grounded egg shells with their food. That should bring their levels up. Also, since they are starting to lay again, maybe they need to just get used to it. When my girls first started laying a year ago, I would get at least 2 a week for about 2 weeks.

3. angusrooster

Mar 22, 2013
    thanks for for info.[​IMG] i didnt put where im from not to swift with computer either, but im from mars hill nc.look forward to hearing some more. like some of the others i have been reading post and replies for a few weeks an decided to join yall today!!!!!!

4. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    Great! Glad you joined byc! [​IMG]

5. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Welcome to BYC!
    I get soft-shelled eggs periodically from our hens. Yes, additional calcium is needed in their systems. Since our grass 'disappeared' under the snow for a few months, I've been supplementing the treats with spinach and finely chopped broccoli for the past few months. They'll get it about 2x/wk for the winter. It helps to maintain calcium levels.
    Not to worry about a random one...daily, however, that's a different problem!

6. angusrooster

Mar 22, 2013
    thanks for reply. yes i have been getting one every day started out with one end[smallest] now after 6 days the whole shell is soft. if i can get before she leaves nest or another hen comes on i can get it .the yolk and all is perfect egg inside. the shell is just real thin any rough handling and it breaks,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by