soft-shelled eggs 5 days in a row...make it 6!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mychickensrock, Jan 30, 2009.

1. mychickensrock

mychickensrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    We've found 5 now. They are never in the nesting box. One right under the roost, 2 in the coop, and 2 on the floor in the run. I have brought who I think is laying them inside for the night. All of our girls have free access to oyster shell. This particular girl has laid regular eggs. Maybe a month ago, she had a prolapsed vent. Got that taken care of and she has even laid regular eggs since then. Since we already give them oyster shells, what else can we do to get those shells hard again? Also, the soft eggs are always broken open. Usually we just find the shell. Last 2 days, they've just been opened, but yolk still inside. Ideas? Thoughts?

ETA: She started laying in August.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    I was stold to give a little bit of cod liver oil. I would dip little pieces of bread in it to get her to eat it. It is supposed to help get them in sync? Worked for my girl.....

3. mychickensrock

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I thought the oils were to "get things moving". She's laying like clockwork, just pitiful, weak shells.

4. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Sounds like an absorption problem. Try vitamins. I use avia charge 2000 daily in the drinking water.

5. mychickensrock

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    where does one buy chickie vitamins? i've also read that you can give them poly-vi-sol for kids. is that right? would the vitamins be bad for all the other chickens who are laying just fine.

6. chickenlady

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Vitamins are great for any chicken, anytime. You can find avia charge 2000 online at hatcheries and chicken supply sights. You can use poly-vi-sol in a pinch but it is not a long term suppliment. Look for poly-vi-sol without iron and give it for a week. I'm sure if you do a search on here you will find the correct dosage. I have given 2-3 drops a couple times a day for a week but everyone has their own dosage that they go by.

7. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    Quote:Thanks! That makes sense. Same problem here but no prolapse issues - just soft eggs and then none from one hen. The last ones we found were nothing but soft, wrinkled shell - like a big raisin! And they couldn't have eaten it - we found it under the roost in the morning, and all the chickens were still on it because it was still dark.

8. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    Do you know if its OK to mix the vitamens with Apple Cider vinegar too?

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:The acids in the vinagar may dilute the effectivness of the vitamins.

10. chickenlady

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Another reason for poor absorption of mineral and vitamins could be worms. Have you wormed before?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by