1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Soft shelled eggs and calcium

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vweers, Sep 29, 2015.

1. vweers

vweers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    SW Idaho
    Okay for the last week or so, I go in the morning to the coop and find at least 1 or 2 soft shelled eggs below the roost. Not every day but enough to know there is a problem. They have been switched to layer feed and I have had oyster shells out for them for months. Now there is still some gorwer feed in the food as I mixed it when they weren't all laying yet. I am not sure what else to do. I know most of my chickens are doing fine and are laying normally. The two youngest who only have been laying for abaout 3 to 4 weeks, I think are the culprits of this but not sure. We are moving into shorter days so I am already getting less eggs and I can't always tell who is laying but most of the time I do. I know one is my Maran as I don't get eggs from her very often but occasionally I do, then I get these soft shelled and membrane only eggs. But I dont' imagine only one bird is doing it since I find two of them not just one. Any other suggestions to help this or will this work itteslf out.

2. lindalouly

lindalouly Grd Ctrl 2 Major Tom Premium Member

You have done all I would recommend... Sometimes the girls will lay soft eggs... Just regulating their system especially if they are new layers.. I would worry to much yet. The seasons are changing and so are our girls. Good luck

3. vweers

vweers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    SW Idaho
    thanks. I just wasn't sure if there was something in addition to feed them to help that. I occasionally give them milk kefir.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by