Soft Shelled Eggs Everyday

Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Fair Oaks, California
One of my silkie hens has been laying soft shell eggs for about a month now. It started when she was broody, and i wasn't concerned then, thinking she just wasn't getting enough nutrients. But she hasn't been broody for weeks and it is still continuing. i thought i read somewhere here that it may be due to a vitamin deficiency, but can't find that post now.

i provide plenty of crushed oyster shell, they get yogurt or scrambled eggs and plenty of greens every day. i bake and crush their own shells and offer those back free choice. The hen whom i suspect is the culprit seems healthy and normal. Any ideas?

If they are getting plenty of calcium and sun , her system is just probly out of wack from being broody (forgive the technical terms). Wouldn't worry.

I just notice today, I have a hen who is laying eggs with just a membrane no shell. She seems as if she has no control where she lays it it just comes out. She is feed well and free ranges. She is about 21 weeks old. But, has been laying well.

7407_shell-less_egg082808.jpg

I found this shell-less egg tonight. It's very fragile, but complete with the yolk and egg white like a normal egg.

An egg is an egg, so I'm sure it'll taste just fine. We broke it open and placed the contents in a bowl.

Yes, the little 'tail' is the umbilical cord.

Mike
http://www.lovinglifeindahlonega.blogspot.com

Back
Top Bottom