1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Soft shelled eggs layed from roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenAl, Aug 3, 2011.

1. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Another one of our chickens has just started to lay, and is doing so overnight from the roost. The eggs are soft shelled because she has not had time to make fully hard ones. My question is what causes them to drop eggs when roosting? Today, I found the third egg since Saturday that was like this. I believe it is one that has just started to lay because we are getting the usual production from the other 3. Any thoughts and help would be appreciated.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

This is quite normal during the ramping up period. Their little egg producing systems are immature. Give it some time, feed and water them well, and it will all come together.

3. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Fred's Hens :

This is quite normal during the ramping up period. Their little egg producing systems are immature. Give it some time, feed and water them well, and it will all come together.

Thanks. Fred. Appreciate the advice. I was concerned because the others had not really done this. Only had one other soft shelled egg layed, and that was right in front of us just outside the run on a very hot day.

One other note. We have two nesting boxes, one on top of the other, and they all like the bottom one. The top one is right below a window and I think it is too bright there. Today, I am putting in a small plastic milk crate next to the lower box figuring once the others start laying it will be a mad dash to the one lower box they seem to like. I am leaving the top box installed to keep the lower one dark and to give them a perch to look out the window, if they care to.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by