Soft shelled eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nicolette, Mar 5, 2017.

1. nicolette

nicolette Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2016
    I've been getting 2-3 softshelled eggs a week. Is that normal or should i do something about? Is this more then normal? Is it a certain season that this goes on?

2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    A little more information would be helpful. Is it just one of your girls laying soft shelled eggs or more than one? Are these new to laying girls or have they been at it a while? Do you give them access to grit?

It's been my experience it's not the time of year, it's more of an age or diet issue.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Soft shelled eggs are generally seen as hens are starting to lay or shutting down. Usually it's merely a glitch in the system which eventually works out. Otherwise stress, and loud disturbances can cause eggs to come out before the shell can be applied.

4. nicolette

nicolette Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2016
    Honestly i can't really tell which chicken it is. I have 16 chickens. So i don't always know who it was. I have a group that's 1 years & 2 years old. I have the black sexlinks. I've read online that they are known to sometimes lay a soft shelled. I get my chickens the crumble feed for laying chickens.

5. et22

et22 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2016
    I had a black sex link that laid soft shelled eggs a lot. I didn't do anything. She did it for a year and then got eaten by a bear. So I don't know how it will turn out for you and sorry I don't know fix it.

Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by