Soft shelled eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickendummy, May 25, 2010.

1. Chickendummy

Chickendummy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    [​IMG]

In case you've never seen one ... I certainly had not ... here is my side-by-side of a normal egg and a soft shelled egg. Sorry all I could retrieve was the shell. This was actually the second one, my girls are just coming into laying and I understand that this is not uncommon. It really freaked me out though. I would describe the soft shell as having a vynil like texture to it. Weird. I've since started giving a small portion of oyster shell in addition to the 16% crumble.

Which raises a question: Does oyster shell act as grit? Or must I provide something else?

CD.

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I've received several rubber eggs & my birds are over a year old.

The shells will act as grit - but if all they eat is crumble they dont' need grit. Its when they free range & eat tons of grass & bugs that the grit is needed.

3. RonB

RonB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Woodinville
    Your right it is NOT uncommon. especially when they are first laying. I have a white leghorn that is really screwed up. she has laid two soft shell (or rubber) at one time. I saw her standing over them in the yard. so I went to look and they were both still warm. She has laid a rubber egg one day then the next day layed one with a double yoke .I wouldn't let her or any of your other chickens start eating them. don't want them to get a taste for them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by