soft shelled eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pupsnpullets, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    I know you're all probably sick of dealing with this problem but here goes....

I have one girl who lays a softshelled egg pretty much everyday, then eats it. I have her separated so that the others don't learn this new habit. All the advice I've seen is to provide oystershell or similar, which I do, but hasn't made a difference. In fact, I haven't even seen her eat any of it. I also mix it in her feed. How soon should I be seeing an improvement in the eggs or is she a cull?

Thanks,
    Barb

2. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Hi Barb - try feeding her black oil sunflower seeds, shredded cheese, and scrambled eggs. All rich in protein, calcium and vitamins. My girls' favorites. Their eggs are so tough I usually end up smashing them trying to crack them.

3. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I've never given my girls oyster shells or anything for harder shells or calcium. Sometimes I bake shells left over after breakfast and crunch them up and give to them, I don't do that often though. They have pretty hard shells. I hope things work out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by