Soft Shelled Eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peacemaker, May 19, 2011.

1. peacemaker

peacemaker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Last night my Cinnamon Queen, whom I have had for about a week and a half, laid (two) eggs off the perch that had soft shells. She has laid one perfect egg per day since I got her, including yesterday. What's up with the two soft eggs laid off of the perch during the night? She seems to be normal other than that.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm sure there could be other explanations, but one thing that might cause that is, if the hen's internal laying machine messed up and started some extra egg yolks through the egg laying factory earlier than it should, the shell gland may not have had enough time to gather enough shell material for those eggs. It has nothing to do with how much calcium she is eating. The shell gland just did not have enough time to prepare for the next eggs since they were ahead of schedule. This happens occasionally. Hopefully it is not habit-forming for that specific hen.

3. peacemaker

Apr 27, 2011
    Thanks, I'm reaquainting myself with raising chickens. Havn't had any since I was about 10 and I am now 44. Don't remember much about their particulars and I'm quessing at 10 I really didn't concern myself anything but collecting the eggs. I'll keep a watch on her.

4. peacemaker

Apr 27, 2011
    She seems to be fine. Skipped a couple of days laying and laid a nice egg this morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by