1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Soft shelled eggs!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kiwilady, Dec 26, 2011.

1. kiwilady

kiwilady Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2011
    My chickens (of which I have only a few so far) lay consistently. I provide pellets, greens, oyster shell grit. But one of the chickens lays eggs without shells at least once a week, laying eggs with shells in between times! Am I feeding something wrongly? Or could she have something wrong with her? They all seem happy and healthy.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    she may not be taking advantage of the oyster shell. Some just do that. I'd say if she continues you may consider culling her.

I've boiled eggs without shells before and they taste the same as others, BUT the problem is if she punctures it you can end up with egg eaters... and then you end up culling the entire lot.

3. kiwilady

Dec 25, 2011
    Ok, that makes sense....now all I have to do is work out which one it is! lol

4. erinnyes

erinnyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2011
    I am having the same problem with one of my hens! She used to lay eggs consistently, and their shells were not very hard but were formed. Recently (like in the past month) she's been laying eggs every now and then that have thin, papery shells. Some hens (like her) are just more prone to laying eggs like this, because it hasn't been an issue with any of the other hens in the flock. I also use oyster shell and it hasn't solved the issue.

5. kiwilady

Dec 25, 2011
    thanks erinnyes, at least I know it. isn't just me!

6. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Maybe feed plain yogurt, our girls love it and they get a lot of calcium from it.

7. Me & Jack

Me & Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    NC
    I've had that problem before, too. Eventually my hen stopped laying altogether. Never figured out what was wrong, but there are some diseases and illnesses that cause soft-shelled eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by