Soft Shells after broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Minniechickmama, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have a hen that went broody along with another hen in the same nest. There were two that hatched a few days before the others, so both girls hopped off to play momma. I gave the chicks to one of the girls, and after about 3 weeks of letting her teach them the ropes, I put her back in the pen with the other adults. The other one who didn't momma the chicks started laying again about a week ago, but they are soft shelled eggs, and I keep finding them in the pen. I know it is her because she plopped one out one day when I was checking them. So, is this common? I am figuring it is, but I have never let broodies hatch before.
    Thanks.

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Are they on layer feed? Could be a calcium deficiency. I have one that lays soft shelled eggs, but that is because she got eggbound 3 times about 6-7 months ago and has never been the same since.

3. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    They get layer ration plus a little calf manna from time to time to boost their protein since some have started dropping a few feathers.

I didn't mention they were Silkies, did I? Imagine, Silkies going broody! Who EVER heard of such a thing? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  4. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Oh, don't you tell stories on those poor silkie girls, you know they would never dream of going broody [​IMG]

5. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I would watch her closely, and see if starts laying semi-normal eggs again. She could start laying normal automatically, but then again, you might see a few more that are too soft. If they continue to stay soft, they do make a liquid calcium that you might try to give her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by