soft shells ~ runny white ~ sumptin ain't right

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dee Dee 2, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    I am feeding my chickens (the ones I have left form a mystery diesase, neighbors dog and coyotes) a scoop each of rolled oats, scratch, and crumbles with a little horse feed pellets thrown in and oyster shell. The whites of the eggs are thin and runny and the shells are very thin. What am I doing wrong. ? What do I need to change ? Sumptin ain't right.

2. maxpedley

maxpedley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    If I were you until you can work out the reason for this I would feed your hens layers pellets or mash only along with grit. The many different feeds you are giving them could contribute to this issue.

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I would feed them either layer crumbles or flock raiser, along with some oyster shell or other calcium builder. The rolled oats, scratch, and horse feed do not have the proper nutrition that they would get if the crumbles were their major diet. If you want to give them treats, just throw a handful of the other mixture out to them occasionally, but don't make it more than 10% of their diet.

Good luck!

4. maxpedley

Dec 31, 2013
    I agree

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    It sounds like a B, or D vitamin complex deficiency disease. There is likely not enough animal protein or other things like niacin or riboflavin in your feed to keep a chicken in tip top health. The people advising you to switch to a laying ration are right. Feed scratch feed to confined chickens only for a treat. A high protein
    sweet horse feed is OK in small amounts instead of scratch feed, read the label to see the protein %.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  6. Dee Dee 2

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    • Thank you to those who replied to my "runny whites / soft shells" with my chickens. What ever disease is killing them is not from the feed BUT I think because of not enough of the CORRECT feed it may have lowered their immune system. I cleaned coops today and noticed all of the scratch had been eaten but not the mash or crumbles. I had been mixing oyster shell in with the feed but they seem to eat more of it if just put on the ground in the pen. So I am going back to that. Going to T.S. tomorrow ~ will pick up a higher protein feed and some vitamins. Now if I can just figure out the mystery disease ???
    • Thanks again !

7. Dee Dee 2

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    Maxpedley ~ Goodness ! and I thought I had a zoo. ! How do you like your red sex links ? I am going to try and rebuild my flock in the spring. Really wanted J.G.'s but I got burned really bad with the ones I purchased last spring. Now I am considering other breeds. Am seriously going to make my decision on birds that are 'disease resistant'. Don't know if Red Sex Links fall into that catagory. ? ? I have read they are really nice chickens. Where did you get yours ? ?

8. maxpedley

Dec 31, 2013
    Mine are actually warrens wich is an english red sex link. I have acquired them over the years from all over usally going cheap because they are in moult. The most recent ones where from a farm I had been working on. They are great birds as they lay tons of eggs and are straight forward to keep

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by