Soft white egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tfb4me, Jun 16, 2011.

1. tfb4me

tfb4me Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2010
    Ok so we got out birds from a local hatchery at 9 weeks of age.They came here laying..Laying beautifull large brown eggs! Anyway lately we have been getting one totally white egg. Thought this was normal untill today when I went to the nest box. There a white egg broken in the box. The shell was paper thin and very soft. Is there a reason for this? I feed them the layer pellets from TSC. I asked on here before weather or not that was a complete feed. No one replied. SO I just assumed it was enough. Should I add scratch feed too? Anyway somthing else I just noticed. The hens (well 4 of them anyway) have been sleeping out on the lid of the nest box outside at night. When I see them I put them back in the nest box as its not a safe place to sleep at night. So does anyone here have any advise for a newbie? these soft white eggs worry me..

2. tfb4me

Oct 12, 2010
    Anybody?? wow does this board move fast...bumped to page 3 in 7 minutes

3. ellie97

ellie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Try feeding them oyster shells. I feed mine layer pellets, scratch, fruit, and veggies, and my older girls lay beautiful eggs on that diet. You can probably get oyster shells from your feed store.

4. tfb4me

Oct 12, 2010
    Sorry but I guess I should have said earlier. They are free range chickens. Kinda...lol. They have a nice big coop and a large covered outdoor run. My birds are not big on kitchen scraps. I end up having to clean them up before they go mouldy. They get lots of grasses and bugs. My son and daughter have taken to catching grubs and worm, just so they can watch the chicken keep away game. So other then the pellets and grasses and treats thats all they get.We were considering bulk bird seed for treats.. would that hinder or help? I was told they didnt need scratch if they had outdoor space. Perhaps Ill give it a try..Thanks for your reply!

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Layer feed should be an all-inclusive feed. But try offering oyster shell on the side, free choice. Just keep some in a dish/old tuna can, something for them. They will eat it as needed to boost calcium. Adding scratch to their diet will NOT help...it'll just detract from their protein levels (has nothing to do with shell hardness, but does have to do with egg production). Sometimes you'll get a soft shell or jello egg just as a glitch. I wouldn't worry unless it becomes a habit.

6. KaylaBird

KaylaBird Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    I agree with getting oyster shell, the layer crumble we have is complete but we've had shell-less eggs laid and oyster shell did the trick. It gives them the calcium they need to make their own shells. Also you can take the shells from their eggs after you use them and clean them off and grind them up as a supplement as well. If you give it to them in a little container the ones that need it will know to eat some. Also with them sleeping out on top of the nesting boxes, sounds like they are roosting. Do you have another roosting area for them inside the coop? They don't normally sleep in the nesting boxes because their natural instinct is to roost. If you dont already, I would suggest putting some 2x4's up off the ground in their coop that they can roost on at night and still be safely enclosed in the coop.

7. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Your hens were laying at nine weeks.

8. KaylaBird

KaylaBird Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    Quote:For treats, the bugs and grubs are good but I would get scratch instead of birdseed for them. Plain yogurt is also a good treat along with just about any other fruit/veggie they can peck at. I also find that if I add a little water to the layer crumble and give them the wet food in a dish they go NUTS! they gobble it all up even through its just their regular feed.
    Here is a Treats Chart with some dos/don'ts for treats:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

9. tfb4me

Oct 12, 2010
    Quote:Your hens were laying at nine weeks.

Well we got them from freys hatchery ready to lay. So yes they were laying when we got them..They are rhode island reds and were supposed to be 9 to 11 weeks old..Thanks to all for the great advise.. We will see what happens
    P,s yes they have a roost inside. Wish I knew why they go out.Well I put a piece of plywood up there to keep them off..Will see how that goes too

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by