Softub Spa as Baby Duck Brooder?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i have another thread going about my dilemma with trying to create a baby duck brooder that will work for my little flock of 11 ducklings. They are only a week and have outgrown the flight cage i originally used, and the 40 gallon bin i just built. Just to be funny, i told my husband we should use our Soft Tub spa as a brooder. He actually liked the idea. It's a 6 foot wide by 4 foot tall soft-sided spa on our back patio. We haven't really been using it as a spa lately.

My idea was to put the food and water at one end, then set up a dryer area on the opposite end. i could put hardware cloth on the top and hang a heat lamp. Maybe use nonskid shelf liner on the dry end? i'm wondering if anyone else has done this. Is it a good idea or bad? Will it completely ruin the spa for our use in the future?

2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Colleen! This is hilarious. I just moved to Auburn and I have baby ducks too. Got them as day olds yesterday and what a group of slobs they are. Water is everywhere! I have mine in a feed trough right now but I can't keep any water in there or they all climb in the bowl and try to swim. I'll be anxious to see what kind of responses you get. We moved up here last month on five acres. No more traffic and close neighbors!

Mary

3. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    This'll be intresting...

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I would get them out of the spa ASAP. They are likely to cause leaks between chewing and toenails.....

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Oh, they aren't in the spa yet, goosedragon. i'm pondering the ramifications at this point, and you make some good ones. The sides are pretty thick plastic, though and not sure they could dig or peck through it. But . . . it is something to consider.

Mary! Yes, i read you moved. Good for you! Now you can really stretch out and have a real farm. i'm very happy for you. How many ducks and what kind did you get? i love mine, but after raising just two 5 months ago, i wasn't prepared for how messy 11 would be. i wish i could talk my husband into giving up the main bathroom tub for a couple weeks.

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Okay, for now while we ponder the spa option, we have delegated our shower. When they get too big, in a minute or so, they may end up in our tub.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by