Soggy cereal? and a shrew?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Yardfarm Family, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Yardfarm Family

Yardfarm Family Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    Mchenry County, Il
    My kids always leave cereal in the bowl with milk, instead of dumping it can I give it to my hens. It's always organic, non sugary kind with organic milk...Also this morning there is a dead shrew in the pen, do I leave it for them to eat or is it not safe? In free range they'd come across rodents and eat them right? Thanks ahead for any responses.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

The cereal is OK.

I wouldn't let them have the shrew, only because I don't know what it died from.

Imp

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd be cautious about the cereal if it's fortified, there might be too many vitamins for the chickens to handle. At least, try not to let them feed it every day! I always throw my flock any mice/voles/etc. that my cats catch and don't eat--just make sure your neighbors aren't using poison.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd feed them the cereal, and put it in a bowl so they can also drink any milk left. Or give the kids less cereal lol.

My birds eat whole mice, etc, but I've not had much luck getting them to eat moles, etc. Esp if they're already dead. I don't see any harm in trying, though.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The short tailed shrew has a venom in it's saliva that is toxic to mammals. I don't know what effect it has upon birds, but would recommend not letting the chickens eat it.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Hmmm, learn something new every day.

I was just thinking a d'con dinner or anti-freeze smoothie; or parasites or botulism.

Imp

7. Yardfarm Family

Yardfarm Family Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    Mchenry County, Il
    Thanks everyone! Good point about potential death from poison, we are next to conservation so I don't think the shrew died from that but you never know. Chickens didn't eat it so I found it and chucked it in the woods this morning....Ya know, when we first got chickens I had no clue how truly beneficial they were to my family..what we don't eat goes to them or the compost and in turn they feed us back and the compost they produce feeds my garden which also feeds us. What an awesome circle of benefits! I love my girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by