Solar Add-A-Motor Door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CapeReds, Jun 16, 2011.

1. CapeReds

CapeReds Out Of The Brooder

I have a solar Add-A-Motor rig (motor, battery, timer, solar panel) headed towards me on the UPS truck. Just curious if there are any tips on the install or setting up the 12 volt timer. I also found a cool indoor / outdoor 12v LED light fixture that will be incorporated.

Thanks
    Curtis

2. Green_Eggs_and_Ham

Green_Eggs_and_Ham Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
  3. HollywoodHillsHens

HollywoodHillsHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Quote:FAB - sorry I don't have a tip for you, but EXTREMELY impressed and have a question....

I am painting and putting the finishing touches on my new coop, and have been hunting for the right auto door / lighting solution for quite some time - this looks PERFECT!

Very interested in the lighting selection too. Will the light be on a timer as well? If not, how might you do that?

Thanks!!

4. CapeReds

CapeReds Out Of The Brooder

Hi,

I got the light on ebay and am happy with the quality.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/12V-Low-Voltage-Outdoor-Wall-Light-Fixture-OT4008-L-/250720499224?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a601b3618

I'm
    new to chickens / BYC and just got our first hens today. The solar thing looks pretty straight forward. The only possible snag that looks to be the friendliness of the 12 volt timer that comes with the package. The only other innovation used was Rustolium truck bed liner (Walmart $40/ gallon) rolled on the coop floor for easier cleaning.
    http://www.discounthomeautomation.com/Solar-Panel-Battery-Timer-Kit-AAHSBTK

The light will just be on a switch for supplemental light. There are some pretty cool motion detection 12v lights too, made for Rvs that may be interesting for dark hours trips and security from predators. I suppose the light could be on a second timer. As to using it on the same timer - Not sure. I will have it figured out once it's delivered.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STAR..._Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item29fdfbe247

Nice find on the directions. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  5. HollysFlock

HollysFlock Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Indiana
    CapeReds, how is the Solar Add-A-Motor Door working out for you at this time? We are thinking of purchasing the Add-A-Motor Door now and the Solar set-up when money allows and would love any feedback. All reviews on the Motor are positive, but there don't seem to be many on the solar portion.

Thanks!

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    If you bought the kit from the discount place, did it come with a motor. The kit I saw had the timer, battery, and the solar panel. Is the motor seperate or a different kit? I'll get one if it everything included.

7. HollysFlock

HollysFlock Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Indiana
    The above link is only for the solar panel, battery, and adapter I believe. The link to the motor is here: http://www.discounthomeautomation.com/Add-A-Motor-Chicken-Coop-Motor-AD20

Price with shippimg is just under $100 each kit.

We don't have power in our coop and I'd love a review from someone who has used thhe solar package or even just their own battery set-up. :)

8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Thanks Holly. I been on an electornic site pick their brain on this subject and everybody there tells me I will have to have a geared motor. They say a DC motor in does not have the strength and proper rpm to work the door as we would like. So I've been searching for a geared motor. I found some but now to get the right one. Research research.[​IMG]

9. danib

danib Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Did the Add-A-Motor coem with good instructions? I'm nervouse about constructing the door and having it work properly. Was thinking solar powered would be even better than the battery, but does the solar panel work for you in the winter? We have bad winters sometimes, and I don't want to have to kep going out there to get the snow off or not have it work on a cloudy day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by