Solar coop advice, anyone?

crittergarden

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 30, 2012
Pittsburgh
I figure the very least I can do is face a huge plexiglass window South to soak the sun onto some dark floor tiles.

But I'd really like to also install a solar panel to run some under tile radiance and maybe also a heat lamp.

Have any of you done this? I am NOT a builder (though I do design in my head all the time), so I don't even know how to start with the panel, radiant equipment, etc.

It sounds like you want to turn your coop into a greenhouse. You do not need to worry about added heat for the chickens. They can handle the cold, it's too much HEAT that can cause them problems. The main thing is to make sure they have enough ventilation, year round. Check out the link below, I have practically the same weather as you and have NO added heat, insulation, or especially a heatlamp.
Jack

I agree with above post. Sun and light in the coop is always good...chickens love the sun and warmth. However, they can really suffer from being overheated. You want to make sure you have plenty of ventilation in your coop to there is always fresh air in there. Heat lamps or a radiance heating system, even on winter nights, are not necessary unless the temperature is really, really cold (like 0 degrees F). Chickens are fine even in subzero temperatures, if they've got a good shelter. Remember, they're wearing down coats.
tongue.png
If you want a big window (which would be nice), a good place to go is to your local Habitat store and browse their selection of used windows. They usually have some really interesting shapes and sizes that could be incorporated nicely into a chicken coop.
Good luck!

I have a solar powered chicken door opener and no heat in coop, it gets hot at times in there and always have windows open even in 25 below weather.
Ayda

Yes, thanks.I had read enough here to know they needed good ventilation, but I still thought they'd need SOME supplemental heat at the coldest times. Plus if I use an agled, clear roof on the south side of the coop I can see them from my window.

Been having trouble figuring out if I'm even capable of installing solar to run any heating anyway. I approached another user because he had a solar panel on his coop in his pictures, but what he had was a solar light kit - not sure why, but he wanted the LED lights for some reason....

It does go below zero here (USUALLY - not this winter) and can stay for a few days. But I think you're telling me I don't even need to supplement when it does. I'll still do the window and some dark flooring, but stop short of electricity. Easier anyway! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom