1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. trailrider20

trailrider20 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    Anybody using solar to power vent fans or lighting? Just wondering which system works best. Thanks.

2. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Good question. I thought about it too but have been told that the solar powered lenses don't last that long with the technology yet. I don't know if thats true or not though.

3. Barnmaradotte

Barnmaradotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    eugene
    I priced it out the right way. not really worth it.But not a terrible loss if you consider the cool factor.

4. VI KING RANCH

VI KING RANCH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    I bought a 600 volt panel at garage sale and use that.

5. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    How long is that supposed to last?

6. buffbrahmaboy

buffbrahmaboy Out Of The Brooder

A small commercial grade self regulating panel will cost about $300 and should last for a very long time. Higher output panels aren't much more expensive but require an external charge regulator as well ($$). The most cost effective battery system uses deep cycle 6 volt golf cart batteries and they will last up to 10 years if well maintained. Add in inverter if you want AC voltage but they can be quite expensive, and now you're involved in some significant source/storage/load calculations. Keep it simple and use 12 VDC. The good panels have a tempered glass layer. I had one panel glass shattered by vandals but the circuit was intact and three years later it continues to crank out the juice despite rain and freeze/thaw cycles. It's not quite as efficient as it once was, though. BTW - don't forget your fuses. This stuff can start fires.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  7. VI KING RANCH

VI KING RANCH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    Ya well my panel I bought second hand for a steal but the guy had the sale slip for $1500! Fifteen hundred dollars! So ya I love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by