Solar Fan Recommendations

beerlady

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2016
Greetings from AZ! I'm curious to hear any opinions/recommendations for solar fans for my coop. Yeah, I know that we're going into winter but I'm thinking about it right now, so if I don't ask I'll forget.

Living in AZ, I think it would be stupid not to take advantage of solar power to keep a little fan going to keep the girls cool. Has anyone used a particular fan that they really liked? Or didn't like? Would a solar attic fan fit the bill or would a smaller one from Amazon be better?

Thanks!

It all depends on the size of your coop and number of chickens. Other factors may be Shade or full sun. I would opt for the larger in your area since it does get quite HOT during summer. You still need good ventilation during winter although it may not need to be power ventilation, just natural venting.
I have been in Phoenix and had family living there in the past , so I do know Hot.
WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

Thanks, Cavemanrich. It's a flock of 6 chickens, they get late afternoon shade and I put a shade sail up as well, but as you know it's just not enough.

My coop is closed on all sides except a triple chicken wire window on the door. It's an old pull behind RV converted to a coop. The window is high enough that the heat from the chickens exits near the ceiling, and cold air comes in at the bottom of the window for natural ventilation all year round. It's also insulated and has electric and gas hookups, so I can heat it during the coldest days.

My coop is closed on all sides except a triple chicken wire window on the door. It's an old pull behind RV converted to a coop. The window is high enough that the heat from the chickens exits near the ceiling, and cold air comes in at the bottom of the window for natural ventilation all year round. It's also insulated and has electric and gas hookups, so I can heat it during the coldest days.
Post a pix for us ... I have been an advocate of repurposing old campers. I repurposed a children's playhouse as my coop.

@beerlady Another thing you may consider , are misters in the run to keep ambient cooler during day. It does not use very much water and does cool the air. Also I would suggest you check out your local Arizona thread. Plenty of peeps in your area that can share their experiences. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/31227/arizona-chickens

Back
Top Bottom