Solar for Livestock Buildings

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by wolftracks, Dec 16, 2010.

1. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Didn't know where to post this for sure.

I've been trying to come up with some DIY solar ideas for the birds and dogs and hopefully my house.

I found this site and I thought WOW, wonder who else could use these.

PLUS... I read this stuff all the time and without my husband I just don't get it or get things done, so if it helps someone, maybe they can help me figure some of it out.

Anyway here's the link and hope some of you can use it.

http://www.mwps.org/stores/mwps/files/Free/solarlivestockhousing.pdf

If it seems helpful I hope everyone shares what they do with it.

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Thanks, that's a pretty extensive resource.

We do use some solar heat in our hen house. It is a 70 x 70 foot pole barn with an insulated ceiling. We have air intakes installed in the ceiling and the ventilation system pulls air from the attic. On sunny days we can get a 10 to 20 degree temperature rise by drawing warm air from the attic space. In the cooler days of spring and fall it helps quite a bit to keep barn temperatures up, but not so much in the winter as the roof has six inches of snow on it right now.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Midwest Plan Service *rocks* in general. Didn't know they had this pamphlet, thanks for sharing!

I get some reasonable amount of passive solar boost from my little plastic-wrapped front run, especially when you consider how teeny it is in comparison to the whole building. Doesn't do any good when we have long stretches of cloudy/snowy weather like we've had lately, though [​IMG]

IMO the biggest thing for people to remember if they want to incorporate passive solar features into a backyard coop (or most other kinds of livestock housing) is that you really need to consider how you can get that daytime heat stored into useful thermal mass to release it at NIGHT, otherwise all you're really doing is exacerbating daily temperature swings.

Thanks for the link,

Pat

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Something i'm also trying to find info about is ...........?????????????? Geez can't remember what it's called!! [​IMG]

It envolves using magnets which works 24/7 so you don't have to rely on the sun. I found some things a few days ago and forgot to add to my favorites.

One reason I want to figure out how to do this is, my husband could do anything. He had all my coops at the lasy house wired and lit up and we hadn't lived here long before he died, so I'm paranoid about electricity and this place has horrible wiring. I also figured if I can find recyclable items to help in the house it would help since I'm at 0 income without him and I need to move soon, so just an idea to help cut some costs to the house too.

I've been fasinated by solar for so many years, so maybe I'll just have to learn some DIY stuff and see if it helps.

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Does anyone have something ingeneus that they use for lighting? Something DIY solar that's cheap and simple?

I need some better light in my coops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by