Solar layer lighting supplement

homeshow

Chirping
7 Years
May 14, 2014
I have a big family and I really don't wanna pay for store quality eggs. My problem is that my girls are not laying because the days are getting shorter. My layer tractors are portable so running an extension court really is not an option. What I really need is some kind of solar powered lighting to give supplemental lighting to increase egg laying. If anybody has something like that that works please post it.

I have a big family and I really don't wanna pay for store quality eggs. My problem is that my girls are not laying because the days are getting shorter. My layer tractors are portable so running an extension court really is not an option. What I really need is some kind of solar powered lighting to give supplemental lighting to increase egg laying. If anybody has something like that that works please post it.
The problem with using solar lighting is that supplemental lighting for winter laying needs to be consistently timed every day. So you'd need a sufficient solar collector and battery storage to ensure that the amount of power for light needed is always available....and a timer to control the duration of light.
It's been done but it isn't simple.

Here's a pretty good article on supplemental lighting.

It's not ideal, but a few years ago I used solar spotlights bought at Lowes for $30 for some bantams in a mobile coop. They were 3 separate lights with a remote solar panel & I fished the wire thru a hole & mounted it outside. At this time & thru the winter they only had about 4-5 hours of power & dimmed slowly so the extra light was at night. This was the only solution I could find, couldn't find solar lights with a timer. It worked pretty well. You can also use a solar shed light the same way except you would have to turn it on before dark & then it would gradually fade as above. It would be worth a try.

I've put holiday lights (white/crystal not colors) on the ceiling of my coop. Now we have to go out and plug them in cuz I'm afraid they'd find away to poop on a timer (the ones I've found are gigantic). That's not an issue though cuz were up early anyway. But I dont do it for egg production, I did it because they were so grumpy when they went to roost at night. And I'd fight them to go in because I don't think they were tired and wanted more time out. It's been quite effective. They are all on the roost or in the coop before the door closes. And I can hear them chattering amongst themselves when I approach the coop to turn them on in the morning. They light the coop up well and the majority or them are on the floor playing and jacking around when the door opens. Its pretty cute when they stand on the bottom roost bar and wait for the "elevator" which Is me picking them up and setting them on the floor

Probably wont do much. But I did read this study that suggested just the light from a single candle made a difference in eggs production vs no additional light. So you might try a few of them. I personally dont use supplemental lighting. It robs them of their natural process. I'd just assume go without for awhile.

Put your location in your profile, it makes a difference in answers... for all we know you might be 25 miles north of the arctic circle. There are many things that affect hens laying patterns. Adding light is a long term process that is used for production birds. If you use a timer you will need to adjust it daily...

JT

It's not ideal, but a few years ago I used solar spotlights bought at Lowes for $30 for some bantams in a mobile coop. They were 3 separate lights with a remote solar panel & I fished the wire thru a hole & mounted it outside. At this time & thru the winter they only had about 4-5 hours of power & dimmed slowly so the extra light was at night. This was the only solution I could find, couldn't find solar lights with a timer. It worked pretty well. You can also use a solar shed light the same way except you would have to turn it on before dark & then it would gradually fade as above. It would be worth a try.
Did you use this for egg production? Did it work? I'm thinking of doing something similar. I figure it'll help me get through the short days.

Did you use this for egg production? Did it work? I'm thinking of doing something similar. I figure it'll help me get through the short days.
It seemed to work. The bantams laid eggs pretty much all winter. Mine were the dusk to dawn type, but like I said in the winter they only stayed on 4-5 hours. I think it is worth a try.

It seemed to work. The bantams laid eggs pretty much all winter. Mine were the dusk to dawn type, but like I said in the winter they only stayed on 4-5 hours. I think it is worth a try.
Might be what taught you that lighting for more eggs at night(instead of in morning) does work.
That the prob with simple solar lights, they come on at night and battery power is lacking for duration...but might be long enough and bright enough to work.

Back
Top Bottom