1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Solar LED light for coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by themagicash, Oct 26, 2010.

1. themagicash

themagicash Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2010
    Austin
    I need to nudge my ladies into better production - we are at 25% now with the loss of daylight. I was wondering if anyone had a LED solar slight that they used and liked? I can't run electricity and was hoping for a solar power light that would last just a few hours into the dark and then lose power.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

2. themagicash

themagicash Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2010
    Austin
    Cool, thanks! Is that what you use? Do you find it effective?

3. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    oooh, that's what I need for the new coop - but instead of motion sensor, one with a timer? will search...

4. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    The problem with solar powered lights is that they are not really bright enough.
    Though the light listed may be bright enough it is just hard to tell unless they list a Lumens #. Plus the length of time it will run will be severely limited in winter without full strong Sun for 14-16 hours a day. :)Haha Solar lights have the same light limitations as a chicken. If you try it please let us know how it works for you this winter. There are tons of people looking for an affordable solar solution.

Rule of thumb is that you should be able to read the paper comfortably at roost level.
    If solar is your only real option you are going to need a larger solar panel, a deep cell 12v battery, and some LED lights with a bit more oomph.
    I use LED X-Mas lights and they seem to be just the right amount of light in my small coop. But, I also have power out there. (pic on my BYC page)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I use a 3 light dusk to dawn landscape spotlight set with remote solar panel. All three lights are in the coop, each light has 3 LEDs. Bought it at Lowes for $30 last year. Malibu & several others make them too. The light is bright enough, even in the winter, but in December they last about 3-4 hours at best. You will also have days with no sun and then they don't always work. I turn on 2 small LED stick up lights and let them on all night on those nights. These two are only really lighting the feeder & waterer so they can tank up. Mine were cheap & run about 100 hours on 3 AAA batteries. I was realtively pleased with my solar lights last year and my bantams layed well.

6. hollisterbullda

hollisterbullda New Egg

Mar 27, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by