Solar light for no electric coop - great find!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by shakecc, Aug 13, 2008.

1. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    We have recently finished our coop and working on the run. We only have 7 chickens so it is not a huge coop 4' x 7'. We are trying to avoid running electric to it. We were thinking of a solar light to help with light when needed. I found some solar lights at our local Meijer's store the other day in the gardening section that were 50% off. It is a "spotlight" that is shaped like a rear view car mirror and mounts to the wall. The solar panel is on a cord that we ran through the rafters and mounted on the roof outside. It has a off on switch, but the best feature is that it comes with a remote control that we hung at the entrance door so when you enter the coop you can turn it off and on. I was surprised to find this in the gardening section as so many of them are auto on/off - dusk to dawn lights.

I am thrilled with it...especially for $12.50! I bought several! They also had a solar spotlight that we hung outside that has a sensor on it that turns on when something enters the area. It was 50% off so we bought it for 15.00.

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    awesome, im hoping to find just that very thing.

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Does the bulb emit heat? I've thought about something like that for really cold nights in the winter but DH said it wu\\ould a) be too expensive and b) not put out enough heat.

4. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    Quote:No, It does not emit heat as they are just LED bulbs so unfortunatly it would not be good for heating in the winter.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Holy cow! What a great deal! I am also hoping to find something similar to that. Great job!

6. melleo

melleo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    St. Paris ohio
    Hey Shakecc
    Welcome to the BYC
    I hope I can find that kind of deal in the Springfield O store!!!
    I love solar lights
    I'm thinking about buying some for Christmas on ebay
    They are pricey but no extension cords!!!
    Melia

7. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    We found our solar light for $15 in a dust covered shelf at the local Home Depot. Thing works really well.
    Will be insulating the coop for the cold weather

8. birdy_num_nums

birdy_num_nums Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    Good to know someone makes a solar powered light that is motion activated. And at a reasonable price if I look for it. Great find, OP, great deal!

9. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    That is a great idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by