Solar lightbulb for your chicken coop

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PaulaJoAnne, Sep 14, 2011.

1. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    That is awesome.

3. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Very Impressive!! [​IMG]

4. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I love it. This just goes to show that just because people are not as sophisticated as others they sure as hell aren't any less intelligent.

5. chickendiva25

chickendiva25 I'm a Spy. :3

Quote:So going to show this to my dad when he gets home. This would be so cool if I could do that to my coop! [​IMG]

6. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    It won't work in freezing weather. Planning on installing one next spring though!

7. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Kind of wish my girl's coop wasn't in such a nice shady spot now. I don't think they have enough sun for it to work.

8. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    JulieNKC: For the shady side of the coop, we put in a solar LED shed light from harbor freight/northern tool - the solar panel has a 15 foot long cable for installing on the roof. The boys put the panel on the sunny side roof, ran the cable through the ridge vent, and installed the light in the housing of a very vintage light fixture. (No duct tape was used in the end product). It works really well.

I also found shed lights at costco (2/$20) with motion sensors, LED bulbs, runs off 4 AA's that I'll recharge whenever needed. I don't need in the sheds much at night/after dark and they're too far to run electric at this time. I'm sure the house geek can rig up something to charge these by solar if asked.

The great thing of these little lights - no code inspections.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  9. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    I dont get it.

I dont see the usefulness of a bulb turned on in the daytime. Granted those on the video are in poor 3rd world countries and such,and it seemed they didnt have any windows,so it might suit them.

Here in america,even in a rural,frugal environment,I see no need of having a bottle sticking thru your roof for light in the daytime. We dont live in basements,or dungeons without windows.

Show me something that lights up the night,withno sun/moon/star power,no electric,battery,gas/diesel engines whatsoever. Dont even say "fire".

Show me something gear driven,like a suped up scale cucoo clock,combobulated to make electricity,then I will seek it out.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  10. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    [​IMG] Very inventive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by