Solar lighting

AMBene

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 22, 2010
Slidell
Has anyone used solar lighting in the hen house to extend days? Was thinking it might be worth a try next winter.

My husband & I talked about trying this just haven't done it. It would be nice not having to run an extension cord all winter!!
smile.png

My thoughts exactly! So... I think I am gonna research the idea and I'll let you know what I come up with.

Wonderful! I just like the idea of solar, more economical and somewhat more ecological (if you don't count the manufacturing).

I have thought of this too, no electricity near by.

Last year, my egg production was pretty steady all through the winter, but my hens were less than a year old, started laying in October and just chugged along, this year, they started the molt going into the fall, we were hit with fairly consistent long term cold weather, and the pullets were not old enough to start laying. Egg production plumetted. One or 2 eggs a day from 4 laying hens.

My pullets just started laying today
ya.gif
And it is a bit warmer than it has been, and we had some sunshiny days. I guess I am wondering if this is the first or second year for your hens. Did you have a drop in production, that changed with the lights?

MrsK

My hens are just 6 months old and just started laying. I live in South Lousiana. 6 of my 7 are laying and I am getting 4-6 eggs a day with no supplemental lighting. I was thinking that in the fall, I would do some solar lighting if my egg production drops off. I have no outlet near the run/coop. I would have to run an long extendion cord, and just really have problems with that idea, so solar seems to be the answer. I want to look for one with a timer so that they do get some night time.

Also in about a month, I will be starting quail and am condsidering the same for them.

I dont light my coop. if they are gonna lay great but I think mother nature has there best intrest at heart by letting them slow down in the winter.

my coops and barn are powerd by a homemade wind turbine that my hubby built. he used golf cart batterys as the battery bank

Back
Top Bottom