Solar lights

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jubylives, Nov 10, 2008.

1. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
  2. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    I had solar lights in my coop the first year when I didn't have electricity .Now I use them out in the two stall horse shelter.Until we get Electricity out there.... Yes There not very bright but they do the trick when you need some light for counting chickens and cleaning up horse poop .I know I'll find another use for them....

3. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    How ironic- We were going to by some from tractor supply this weekend, but it seems they didn't have them in stock. I had come accross them on their website.

4. mychickensrock

mychickensrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    We actually found some solar powered Christmas lights in Target. My DH installed them inside the coop because the chickens couldn't see to get up on the roost. They add a nice touch [​IMG] The string was like $20. Not bad for a little ambience!

5. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    You guys are killing me. I saw those Target lights online. The one by us does not carry them. Every other store the search finds does carry them. These other stores are still all 50 miles away. I'm going to order a few online.

6. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Great Idea!!! I'm online looking right now!!! [​IMG]

7. conroy

Oct 10, 2008
    Bought one!! We are very excited about it... I'll let ya know how it works.

8. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    Quote:Cool. I didn't get a chance to read up on it. Does it have a battery that the solar panel charges? I'm assuming so but not sure.

Jeremy

9. conroy

Oct 10, 2008
    LOL it was like 12 am when I was looking at them but I think there is a rechargeable battery that lasts 2 hours using 10 LEDs or 4 hours using 5 LEDs

10. gottaknit

gottaknit Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    Would these work for increasing "day length" (and thus egg laying) in the winter? Are they bright enough to fool the chickens' circadian clock? Can they be put on a timer?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by