solar lights

abejita

Chirping
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Dallas, TX
Ok, I've seen people mention that they use various solar powered lights to add light to their coops to increase egg production. These light go on at dusk. Does anyone know of solar lights that have a timer that you can set the light to come on in the morning instead?

I would want to have the light come on a couple hours before dawn and go off after the sun is up.

How would you hook up a time to a solar light if it doesn't already come with one?

I use this 12 volt timer to control my lights.

http://www.flexcharge.com/flexcharge_usa/products/programable_timer/programable_timer.htm

I have five 15 watt amorphous solar panels charging a 120 ah 12 volt marine battery. From there the 12 volt timer turns on/off a 800 watt 12 volt inverter. The inverter powers two 120 volt 10 watt (40 watt equivalent) compact fluorescent lights. I often have to charge the battery using a battery charger and generator due to lack of sunshine.

We run lights in the morning to get the hens to lay by 10AM which is when we let them out to eat and play. They sit on the eggs and keep them from freezing that way.

I like the lights to go on before dawn adding the extra light in the a.m only because if you add extra light in the p.m. your birds may still be on the floor milling around when the lights suddenly go out. Then they can not find their way to the roosts and may be stressed.

Mind you, you only really need to do this during the shorter days of winter. Summertime there is plenty of daylight to stimulate egg production.

I am not positive on all solar lights, but the ones we have had, the light does not go all at once, like when you flip a switch, but rather slowly fades away. However, we use them in the barn to unsaddle after dark, and while there is enough light to see (kind of ) what you are doing, and keep from stumbling over things, but not real bright.

I have not put them in the chicken house, cause I didn't think they would be bright enough to make a difference.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom