Solar Lights

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LN2008, Nov 18, 2011.

1. LN2008

LN2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Larryville, KS
    Anyone have suggestions for artifical lights in coops? I'd need something somewhat solar since there isn't any way we can run electricty to the coop. My husband is against using a power cord because it technically is a fire hazard (he's a trained electrician)

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  3. LN2008

LN2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Larryville, KS
    Quote:Did you get them at Home Depot?

4. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen them at Lowes and Walmart and Kmart... Pretty much anywhere that carries light bulbs will have these. I added a link to my last comment.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Solar will work well if you have good sun exposure - if not it's worthless.
    I'm currently trenching for electric which I hope to get in before winter.
    I'm an electrician but ran all the coops last year from extensions. I knew I was putting it in permanently eventually so installed all the conduit, fixtures and receptacles in the coops and used a pigtail plug covered outside to plug into the SO cord extension.
    All the extensions were fed from GFCI protected breaker circuits.

6. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    W have the solar stake lights on some of the fence posts. We also have two solar spot lights trained on the coop door and under the coop. They do very well for us.

7. Mavrik

Mavrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Since you hubby is an electrician running power to the coop is doable. There is no such thing as 'not possible' [​IMG] The majority of power lines are run overhead over all kinds of obstacles. Or an underground power run.

8. T-Amy

T-Amy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Woodhull, NY
    We ran electric like ChickenCanoe- trench, conduit, boxes, switches, etc. Took all the precautions as if it were a house & needing to run electric to it underground. Our lights are on a timer so they're only on from 4-10AM and 3-5PM (something like that- giving them 14* a day of light total). I thought about the battery-thing but didn't want to have to go out at a specific time every day or AM to turn them on/off- especially at 4AM! We also have an LED night-light on constantly for just a tiny glow which doesn't interfere with their sleep cycle which I read was helpful. It's SOOO nice not to have to use a flashlight in there now that it gets dark at 5PM.
    *Oh, and we've more than doubled our egg production since we supplemented their light!
    Good luck to you.

9. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    I would like to add solar lights, but I'm afraid the roosters would be non-stop in their crowing... [​IMG]

10. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Look at my BYC page and you can see how I did solar on my coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by