Solar Lights?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ddfuller, Dec 4, 2011.

1. ddfuller

ddfuller New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    My little coop has no power and I need to extend the daylight for the layers. Solar Lights seem like they could be a great low hassle solution. One trick is that we live in WA and our winters are not the sunniest, [​IMG] and I would need to get a light that can put out about 5hrs of light per day and then re-charge under cloudy conditions. Our coop is ver small, so I don't need a massive output for my little space. Figured someone on here has done some homework on this and could recommend a few products. 12V LED systems seem like they might be a good Solution..
    Thoughts?
    thx.

2. We have some cheapies drilled in and mounted on the side- they seem to do ok in cloudy weather, but we have mostly sun here. We spent about $3 each at our local Ace Hardware.... sorry to not be more help- these were the little solar yard lights, fwiw. We're also not trying to extend laying hours, but give them more of a nightlight. [​IMG]

3. ddfuller

ddfuller New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    That brings up a good question.. How bright should it be in the coop when using a light to extend daylight? light enough to resemble daylight?
    Still hoping some other people have solar light recommendations, because I know there is a wide range in quality and performance for solar lights out there..

thx.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by