Solar Panels for Power in Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KSacco, Feb 28, 2015.

1. KSacco

KSacco Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2015
    Hi Everyone. Looking for some information on using solar panels to provide power to a coop that is too far from our home to extend electric to. Has anyone had any luck with any certain system or panel that they'd be willing to share about? I'd like to have possibly just a low energy light, and also run the automatic door and timer off the panel system- with the option of putting heat lamps in, in the winter. Thanks for your help!

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    there are plenty of solar light options just at the local HD. There is an ad on this page for chickendoors.com that has a solar pop door. Having solar panels, deep cell batteries and an inverter to run 110 is cost prohibitive. It's just a bunch of math. How many amps the solar panel can generate, how much storage is on the batteries, how many watts you are pulling and how many hours a day it will run. I have been trying to figure this out with a food truck just to take some of the intermittent equipment off the generator and it seems to be a loosing battle. Running heat lamps would be out of the question.

3. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

I am looking to solar power a little night light in an old lantern, so I am interested in your thread title. I think my low power use is a go… but as noted above, the heat lamps most likely will not work out for you. However the rest of your plan could perhaps be worked up into an operating system. It would be a fun project to take on.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

4. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    if you're wanting to solar power a night light in a lantern you can probably find a solar pathway light that looks like a lantern, or modify one of those easily to fit in the lantern

as for solar power for the coop, totally agree with whomever up there said forget the heat lamps. Unless of course you go big time on a storage battery bank. for what that would cost, you could pay an electrician to run the super heavy gauge wire you'd need to go a longer distance and tie into the house.....

5. dchronicles

dchronicles Just Hatched

I found several great solar powered shed lights and a solar power vent fan on Amazon. The first set were black lantern types and used the on my detached garage. I live in the high desert in Joshua Tree where sun is not an issue. The solar panel for each light had about eight feet of wire to position panel on roof of garage. They work and stay lit throughout the night. Another set ordered for coop being built. The solar roof vent/fan runs in daylight hours which the coop is 12x12, need another to adequately move heat out during our summer.... Best of luck!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. KSacco

Feb 27, 2015
    Thanks everyone! Yeah, the solar power idea is a little overwhelming- and bits and pieces seem doable. I am guessing since there is not much information on harnessing enough energy to make it cost effective- the challenge will be substantial. I'll continue to do my research and chip away at it bit by bit- if anyone else comes across anything interesting-please feel free to share. I'm all ears! It still blows me away that with all the advances in solar power, we still can't effectively harness it! Eeks!

7. KSacco

Feb 27, 2015
    Thanks! I have a neighbor who mounted a cup and fan type system to his garage roof- I think it's a wind powered unit. I am going to talk to him to see what ideas he has as well. There just HAS to be a way to make it work! :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  8. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    You might look into using a deep cycle 12V battery (often used in boats and RVs) and attaching an off-the-shelf solar car battery charger to it. That was my plan for phase 2 of my coop power. (Right now I just have a long extension cord, but it's ugly and makes my wife frown)

9. KSacco

Feb 27, 2015
    Thanks for the suggestion! I don't blame your wife- the aesthetics are somewhat important! It's nice to keep everything as unobtrusive and streamlined as possible. Good luck with your phase two- let me know how it goes and if you have any suggestions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by