1. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    Does anyone have these on a coop to provider lighting for when you clean or check on them after dark?

Are they pricy? Where can you get them?

2. timbofarms

timbofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    No but it sounds cool.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I don't have solar panels but I have a clear panel in the roof. Kind of like a sky light

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I bought little solar lights at Home Depot or Lowes that attach to the bottom of those deck umbrellas and they give off pretty good light to see by. Cost me $10 each. Should be coming out when pool supplies come out in stores.
    They have to charge up every day but since I seldom have to use them they usually are ready. I have left them clipped onto the wire and the light is low enough that it doesn't disturb the girls while trying to sleep but I can see well enough to count heads and check nest boxes.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    you can buy a solar powered shed light from Home Depot etc for somewhere in the $40-50 vicinity -- that is probably the best thing for your purpose.

Have fun,

Pat

6. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
  7. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    I would be interested in a solar panel that would keep a 12v battery charged, using led lights on a switch....something I could leave on all night, possible on a timer or dusk to dawn eye. Then I could rig up a pop door using an electric window opener from a junk car with it. Can you image door opens and light turns off....door closes light turns on.
    My girls deserve the best! Now, who can draw me a plan and make it?
    HappyHatch'en

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by