Solar powered motion sensor lights

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by alb9202, Feb 17, 2013.

1. alb9202

alb9202 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2013
    Maine
    Does anyone use these motion sensor lights on or near the outside of their coops as a way to predator proof? If not to "scare" nocturnal predators do they seem to help? First time at chicken ownership, hoping for proper preventative measures with out wasting too much money. Thoughts?

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Welcome to the BYC forum. I will be interested to hear what responses you get to this as well.

3. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    I have a cousin who kept losing chickens at night as they roosted in the coop. He tried a lot of different things but something kept getting the chickens, until he bought a bug zapper and put it up next to the coop. He has had no losses since. We have not lost any chickens when they are in their pen (just while free ranging) but I'm thinking of buying one.

1 person likes this.
  4. alb9202

Jan 30, 2013
    Maine
    That's great! And zapping bugs in the process, awesome since I already have one of these great idea! My thought process is, if a motion sensor doesn't scare nocturnal predators at least it'll provide me light if I need to bring out my hubbies 22 :)

5. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    One question. Wouldn't the zapper zap the chickens when they are free ranging???

6. alb9202

Jan 30, 2013
    Maine
    I don't think so, it is wrapped in a cage so even humans can't fit a finger in it. It's typically hung On something like a tree branch. Unfortunately with lose dogs in our neighborhood two of my own and cranky neighbors I don't think free range is an option for me. I would plan on hanging the zapper outside of the run to ensure its out of reach from the chickens but close enough to the coop to make that snap noise

1 person likes this.
  7. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    It would work a few times, but soon a predator will get used to it. But like you said it'd give you a better chance at hitting your target.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by