Solar Powering Chicken coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rich Marshall, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    I am building a chicken tractor and would like it to be self sufficient, I am trying to gain inforrmation re solar powering the coop, I guess it would just need to power a light or two and a water heater.
    Any suggestions and pics welcome.

2. jnswright

jnswright Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    North Texas
    There is some really good info on solar powering a coop in some recent threads...
    You might try a search to find them...

3. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes, my mobile hen houses are provided light ( two 10 watt CFLs) via two 12 volt marine batteries that are charged by five 15 watt amorphous solar panels. Also power a one joule fence energizer. However, I can't get enough sunlight to top off the batteries when running this combination here in the Michigan UP, and therefore use a generator and battery charger every so often.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It's not worth the cost to try and run any type of heater with just solar power.

Just running lights will set you back over $100

5. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    If you just wanted lights you could buy the solar walkway type lights for about $3 each and take the panel off, extend the wires, mount the solar light in the coop and the solar panel part on the roof of the coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by